Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kicking A$$ and Taking Names

'Tis the season for illness, winter blues and new year's resolutions slipping through the cracks.  I spent a large chunk of last week on my couch, watching 41 episodes of Grey's Anatomy in a row.  Why?  I had no voice.  To some people that may not be a big deal, but I'm a talker - a born communicator - an over-communicator.  Darn it, I like to talk.  So when I couldn't for four days, my husband thought he had died and gone to heaven.  No nagging.  No "honey-do" requests.  But, he did have to suffer through at least 15 of those 41 episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

But that's not what I am here to write about.  During those four days, I didn't communicate much with anyone.  Sure, I had Facebook, Twitter, and text messaging.  But that is slightly delayed.  I wanted conversation.  I wanted a dialogue.  Instead, I was alone with the thoughts in my head.  Not always a good thing.

I over analyze.  I am way too critical.  I always think I can do more.  So four days of pure laziness started taking a toll on my poor soul.  Seriously.  It only took four days and I fell into a lazy rut.  I hate being lazy.  Sure, I love to relax with a glass of wine, bubble bath or good book.  But to unwind, not be lazy.  This sense of laziness spilled over once the work week started.  I didn't want to relapse into sickness by overdoing it too soon, so I let the dishes pile up, the laundry sit in the basket unfolded, and just did nothing.  (Well, I read a book).  Last night I hit my breaking point.  After dinner, Josh and I got home and I couldn't take it.  After some prompting from a co-worker, I decided to make cupcakes.  Well, baking requires doing dishes.  So I did the dishes - all of them.  Then I cleaned the kitchen.  I started cleaning other areas of the house then I realized it was midnight and time to go to bed. 

But guess what - that little bit of motivation brought about a whole new attitude.  I woke up today wanting to kick a$$ and take names.  And I have done just that.  My To-Do list at work is almost complete - including some of tomorrow's work.  I have a great night of re-connecting with old friends planned for tonight and my weekend is full of all sorts of things to do.  All of which will help me achieve my goal of being a better me.

So while I may have let last week go, this week I am taking control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment